Monday, February 18, 2013

ROCK TOWN

 
My folks moved us to the City of Duarte in 1954. At that time, the big deal in Duarte was a national medical hospital called the City of Hope.

The City of Duarte was also known for a few square blocks of terrain known to locals as "Rock Town".
 

Rock Town was poor, literally dirt poor.  As a kid, I heard rumors that many Rock Town families lived with dirt floors. It was common community knowledge, that if you didn't live in Rock Town you didn't want to be there after the sun went down. The area was tough, the kids were tough, the dogs were tough, hell even the chickens were tough. The whole area was filled with tough growlers young and old, and baby, I got some serious life lessons. They made me grow up and they made me tough.

The only thing that Rock Town and the City of Hope had in common was that they were in very close proximity to each other.

Naturally, I went to Duarte High School. I was a proud falcon. I was in the first graduating class of 1961 and some of my friends that I played high school sports with, and still see today, lived in Rock Town. 


                                                                                                                  
Yeah that's me in the picture, Number 22, my senior year playing football. I was a running back for the "mighty" Falcon's of DHS. I WAS IMMORTAL! I threw passes to the kids from Rock Town, I pitched baseballs to kids from Rock Town. I tackled them and they tackled me. Funny thing about sports, it's a great equalizer. There were more things that were different about us than were the same. But we could care less...we were friends; we would die on the gridiron for one another. That being said...I was still out of Rock Town when the sun went down!

The kids I knew worked like hell to get out of Rock Town. Some went to jail trying, some died trying, but some of my good friends worked their way out and became successes in their own right.

It's ironic, perhaps even destiny, that I now make the greatest stand of my life, my toughest fight...on a patch of City of Hope turf that's very near to old Rock Town. It's been 53 years since that picture and as I sit in the City, infusing my bags of chemotherapy, I reminisce about my old friends, the old neighborhood and the immortal days of my youth. Now I sit so close to it I can reach out and touch it, yet it's so far away.

When I bend over, reach down and grab a root, I do what I learned from my pals so many years ago...growl and growl loud.


Click here to leave a comment!

12 comments:

  1. What you write is so deep, so soulful, keep up the journey of what matter so much to you for it keep the spirit of the man you are alive and so strong and kicking the s out of the c so keep on growling long and loud with the breath of the life you are,

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you recall, football is a game of yards; a few yards at a time is sufficient. And, we were taught that when you got hit and went down, you got back up quickly and kept playing. "Don't lay on my grass" was the mantra of every football coach that I played for. That's what you've been doing, getting hit and getting back up. And, knowing you the way I do, you'll will keep doing just that. I'm thinking about you 'ol friend. Keep growling long and loud. I think I can hear you from my home in Claremont!! Keep writing your story......

    Al R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ralph, I'm so glad you're sharing through your blog. Keep growling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. Your support keeps me going and growling

      Delete
  4. My family were "Rockers" and went to Duarte HS. I was in the service before my parents moved to Rock Town, But my brother and sister graduated from Duarte. My Brother mike was a musician and played in the band, my Cousins Johnny and Victor Chavez were both athletes. You may have run into Victor, he played football and baseball at the varsity level. Interesting how we became teachers. Two of us still visit our neighbor City of Hope, been lucky and strong, just like my buddy Jacoby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family were "Rockers" and went to Duarte HS. I was in the service before my parents moved to Rock Town, But my brother and sister graduated from Duarte. My Brother mike was a musician and played in the band, my Cousins Johnny and Victor Chavez were both athletes. You may have run into Victor, he played football and baseball at the varsity level. Interesting how we became teachers. Two of us still visit our neighbor City of Hope, been lucky and strong, just like my buddy Jacoby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think the days of your youth are far away at all. You carry those lessons forward and they shape who you are now. So growl like a teenager...you still have it in you!!!! Maura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ralph: Don't know if your remember me. I was your group secretary (old group 21), at that time I was going by Patricia Carrasco. You are an inspiration to all. Please keep up the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ralph:

    I recall that story about the Hatteras (it was legendary among the U/C's), but only part of it. Reading the whole thing was fun. Those were the days. I feel sorry for the U/C's now.

    Keep up the fight. Remember, if you wake up in the morning, you've already won. I'll pray for you.

    Luci

    ReplyDelete