Sunday, April 21, 2013

"COACH"

I have known many people that have suffered from cancer and some that have died from it. Many of you following this blog have gone through the same thing with loved ones and close friends.

One of my closest friends, and we go back to our grammar school days, has been fighting cancer for at least a dozen years. He has been put through hell with numerous chemotherapy treatments, radiation and surgeries over those years. I can't tell you how many times I thought I would lose him. I can tell you why I haven't lost him...because he's a fighter, he's the guy who bends over, grabs a root and growls. He's the friend that told me to do just that when I found out I had throat cancer in 2007. He's a growler and I'm a growler and I have to believe that it works because we're both still here. Trust me, if growling can work for us it can work for anyone who will permit themselves to believe that they can overcome. For the most part I have refrained from using people's full names. In this instance I feel I must make an exception because many of you that follow this blog know this person very well, or certainly remember him from your high school days. He needs all our support now!

 "Coach" Bud Reich is still fighting his battle...now against renal cancer. He will have a cancerous kidney removed on May 2nd
, and I'm sure that will be followed by more treatments. He needs all our prayers and support for a speedy and successful recovery.

For those of you that don't know Bud Reich, I would like to give you a brief introduction... We graduated from Duarte High School together and Bud went on to captain the Cal Poly at Pomona basketball team. I do believe Bud had the talent to play pro basketball, but chose instead to mentor young men. For many years, Coach Reich was the head basketball coach at Charter Oak High School. Bud has made a positive influence on almost every young man he has ever come in contact with. If there was a way this message could reach all those players he coached over the years, it would be a good thing.

Oh, one last thing, Coach Reich was born in Alabama and his team is the Crimson Tide...make no mistake about it.

Roll Tide....
Roll Reich....


------ End of Forwarded Message

Click here to leave a comment!

10 comments:

  1. Ralph...you're amazing. With what you're going through, you're leading the crowd to support another cancer victim. Keep reaching down, grabbing a root and growling...that seems to be the answer to the question: how do you beat the Big C?? And, you're doing it...

    Al R

    ReplyDelete
  2. any updates on coach Bud?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your way of explaining everything in this post is truly pleasant, every one be able to without difficulty be aware of it, Thanks a lot.


    Also visit my web-site - size genetics review

    ReplyDelete
  4. just checking in....it's been awhile since we have heard from you....:)

    I know you have many more stories to tell...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ralph: No posts since April. Hope you are recovering or at least have that beast under control....Please hang in there..

    Al R

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let us hear from you, as it's been too long since we went down memory lane...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been on my mind a lot lately, ...It's way too much time since we have heard from you....I know your going thru 'hell', but if there is anything and I mean anything...please reach out....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Growing up, Bud Reich was my best friend's brother. His mom, my second mom and influential in forming my faith and moral code. But was the best man in our wedding, because he was my husband's coach, role model and confidant. The Bud I knew was one of the strongest, most stubborn men I've ever known. My heart breaks to know he is/was going through more pain. He is certainly in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes, that I report the passing of my Uncle, Bud Reich. Please keep my Cousins, his kids, my Aunt Lisa, his wife, and all of the Reichs/Hagers in your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes, that I report the passing of my Uncle, Bud Reich. Please keep my Cousins, his kids, my Aunt Lisa, his wife, and all of the Reichs/Hagers in your prayers.

    ReplyDelete